WhatsApp is being targeted by bad actors in efforts to hijack accounts. We have seen reports of hijacked WhatsApp accounts using social engineering to trick the user into sending the bad actor a 6 digit code. What the user does not realize is that 6 digit code is being used to lock the out of their account.
Here are some guidelines for safe WhatsApp’ing….
- Enable MFA – Settings – Account – Two-Step Verification
- Follow the steps to enable this MFA
- Review Privacy Settings – Settings – Account – Privacy
- Set privacy to “My Contacts” for each element
- Use Block feature for unsolicited messages
- Select the message contact and scroll to the Block button